Fitness & Exercise
Physical exercise does not mean dragging yourself to a gym and forcing yourself to workout. Physical activity is essential and anything that gets you moving which burns calories can be considered as such. Dancing, walking, jogging, working in the garden, bicycling can be fun ways of incorporating physical activity into your daily routine. Here are some of the benefits of regular physical activity:
- Improves blood circulation
- Relieves stress
- Increases your energy for daily activity
- Lowers blood sugar
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol
- Lowers risk of heart disease and stroke
- Burns calories and helps you to lose and maintain weight
What is adequate exercise?
The most important thing about exercise is that it should be regular and continuous; Regular means you need to exercise at least 3 - 5 times a week , continuous means you should not stop after 10 minutes rest for another 10 and exercise again. Working out is essential for all persons of all ages to live a healthy life. Here are some tips for exercising consistently;
- Workout with friends or family to minimize boredom
- Choose an exercise regime that you enjoy and not something that you have to force yourself to do; dancing, cycling, yoga, zumba are a few alternatives to routine workouts at the gym.
- If you are running or walking change your routes to make it more fun and adventurous
- At the gym, try different routines or exercises
- Combine different types of workouts such as yoga and zumba, pilates, walking and cycling etc.
Recommended exercise regime
The following guidelines can be used as a start for your workout regime. It's important to spend time exercising at home, at the gym or park during the course of the week.
- 30mins x 3 times a week - Minimum
- 30mins x 5 times a week - Good
- Less than 30mins and less than 3 times a week - Inadequate
- Children need to be active for at least 1hr a day
- If you are looking to aggressively burn fat, you must exercise at least 45mins to 1hr 4 - 5 times a week continously