About the DASL and NDC
The Diabetes Association of Sri Lanka [ DASL] was founded in 1984 as a non profit organization and registered in parliament by act no 1 of 1992. It is also registered as a charitable organisation with the Ministry of Finance (Inland Revenue Act No: 28 of 1979 - for tax free donor status) and Ministry of Social Services (Act No:31 of 1980). The headquarters of the DASL was established in 1995 in Rajagiriya at the National Diabetes Center [NDC].
Generous donations from International and National organizations helped to establish the NDC. The largest donors were the Sir Frank Gunasekera Trust and the Canada Development Fund.
NDC provides the following services to the general public:
- Education and Awareness programme
- Clinics - Single Visit Screening for Complications of Diabetes
- Wellness clinic
- Laboratory services
- Insulin Bank - care for young persons with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
One of the main goals of the Diabetes Association of Sri Lanka is to educate and create awareness about the disease. Further, with the recent exponential increase in prevalence, prevention both primary and secondary are as important as tertiary care.
DASL is one of 220 member associations affiliated to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and housed the South East Asia regional office (1 of 7 regions) from 2003 to 2010.
To reduce the incidence and prevalence of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus through Primary Prevention.
Care, Prevention and Cure: Go beyond Borders.
Board of Trustees
Following is the Board of Trustees at the DASL
- Prof. Upendra Srinath Jayawickrama – Chair
- Mr. S. Nihal Seneviratne
- Dr. Ranjith Mahindapala
- Deshamanya C P de Silva
- Mr. Mahen Dayananda
- President: Mr. Mahen Ambani
- Vice Presidents:
- Prof. Kusum de Abrew
- Dr. K.D.P. Jayatilaka
- Prof. Saroj Jayasinghe
- Secretary: Dr. Mahen Wijesuriya
- Assistant Secretary: Dr. (Mrs) N. Chandra Silva
- Treasurer: Mr. P. Karunanantham
- Assistant Treasurer: Dr. Charith Seresinhe
- Editor: Dr. K.D.P. Jayatilaka
- Mr. Tissa Wijesinghe
- Mr. G. Munasinghe
- Prof. T.P. Weerarathna
- Dr. (Mrs) E.R. Amarasekara
- Dr. Lucian Jayasuriya